The Jack & Jean Isherwood Veterans Championship sponsored by Grocontinental takes place tomorrow with a trophy and a Champion of Champion place up for grabs. There are some big names in the field who will have to maintain fitness and stamina in this heat. Last weekend’s Cleckheaton Classic winner Mike Leach knows how to win big one day competitions, and takes on Steve Lovatt first game. Martin Gilpin has also won major competitions in the past, and is first on against Geriant Roberts, so has Barry Booth, who faces Bob Brown first game. Cliff Johnson and Mike Holden are seasoned competition players and play Dave McRoy and Barrie Shaw respectively. John Bonatti is a Welsh County player and is against Bryan Ibbetson of Yorkshire. Tony Freeth will be expected to get after some against Graham Wassail, while home players Cedric Bancroft and Ian Smith will hope green knowledge will help them when they take on Merfyn Jones and Allan Parsons. The other remaining games are Ian Johnson and Chris Massey, Ray Goodhand versus Trevor Bate, Patrick Moyles against Peter Holian, Allan Hemmings playing John Rayton, Andrew Kennish taking on Dave Redfern and Philip Oldham competing against Mark Bennett.
Live scores can hopefully be followed here or on the BCGBA website somewhere.
The draw for the 2018 BCGBA Jack & Jean Isherwood Veterans Championship, sponsored by Grocontinental, to be held at Prees Cricket & Recreation Club, Brades Road, Prees, Shropshire, SY13 2DX, Tel: 01948 841352, on Wednesday 4 July, commencing at 10.00 am, is as follows:
- Geriant Roberts (Wales) v 2. Martin Gilpin (Cumbria)
- Ian Johnson (Derbyshire) v 4. Chris Massey (Greater Manchester)
- Dave Singleton (Yorkshire) v 6. Ian Davies (Cheshire)
- Bob Brown (North L&F) v 8. Barry Booth (Potteries)
- Ray Goodhand (Lancashire) v 10. Trevor Bate (Wales)
- Ian Smith (Shropshire) v 12. Allan Parsons (Staffordshire)
- Patrick Moyles (South Yorkshire) v 14. Peter Holian (Merseyside)
- Allan Hemmings (W& W) v 16. John Rayton (North L&F)
- Andrew Kennish (Isle of Man ) v 18. Dave Redfern (Derbyshire)
- John Bonatti (Wales) v 20. Bryan Ibbetson (Yorkshire)
- Philip Oldham (Cheshire) v 22. Mark Bennett (Greater Manchester)
- Graham Wassail (South Yorkshire) v 24. Tony Freeth (W & W)
- Steve Lovatt (Potteries) v 26. Mike Leach (North L&F)
- Cedric Bancroft (Shropshire) v 28. Merfyn Jones (Wales)
- Dave McRoy (Cumbria) v 30. Cliff Johnson (Staffordshire)
- Barrie Shaw (North Midlands) v 32. Mike Holden (Greater Manchester)
All games are 21 up off 3.