We look at the first quarter of the All England happening on Saturday.
Gerald Merry is first on and will have plenty of experience on his side as he faces Dan Varcoe of Cumbria, while Craig Podmore is a good up and coming player for Potteries & District and takes on Mick Andrews from Merseyside. John Kennish has won multiple Isle of Man Merits but would love to go one better than in 2003 when he lost in the final of this. He plays Craig Richardson of Wales first up, with another former runner up just below in 2011 finalist Wayne Ditchfield, who plays Andrew Skyes from Yorkshire. John Greenhalgh of Yorkshire plays Dougan Tubey from Derbyshire, while Neil Bithell of host county Lancashire and Wayne Phillips from Shropshire sees two very experienced county players take each other on. John Bailey from Wales is a former Champion of Champion, but would love to add this to his collection, and starts up against Chris Heyes. North Midlands’ Steve Pratt meets Elliot McGuinness of Warwick and Worcester in what promises to be a cracking tie of youth and experience, both man having won major competitions before, with Steve having reached the finals of this before in 2002.
1st Quarter Draw:
1. Gerald MERRY (Cheshire) vs 2. Dan VARCOE (Cumbria)
3. Mick ANDREWS (Merseyside) vs 4. Craig PODMORE (Potteries & District)*
5. John KENNISH (Isle Of Man)* vs 6. Craig RICHARDSON (Wales)
7. Wayne DITCHFIELD (North Lancs & Fylde)* vs 8. Andrew SYKES (Yorkshire)
9. John GREENHALGH (Yorkshire) vs 10. Dougan TUBEY (Derbyshire)
11. Neil BITHELL (Lancashire) vs 12. Wayne PHILLIPS (Shropshire)
13. Chris HEYES (Greater Manchester) vs 14. John BAILEY (Wales)*
15. Steve PRATT (North Midlands) vs 16. Elliot McGUINNESS (Warwick & Worcester)